Monday, July 14, 2008

A Booklovers Book!

About two weeks ago, I picked up an advance reader's copy of a fantastic novel. The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society by Mary Ann Shaffer and Annie Barrows was lying quietly on the break room table when I spotted it. I knew nothing of the book, but seriously, I totally had to handle it with a title like that. I think others had looked it over as well, but for what ever reason, it was still there and ripe for the taking. I couldn't be happier that I did!

Every once in a while, what I call a true book lover's book comes about and I fall in love. It's been some time since that happened for me. The last time, I believe, was The Shadow of the Wind by Carlos Ruiz Zafón, and that was several years ago. So, my heart is all a pitter-patter over my newest book lover's book.

Set just after World War II, in England, the story is told through letters, telegrams, and other various communications between the characters. An author, Juliet Ashton, is attempting to get a grip on her post war existence. She receives a letter from a stranger requesting suggestions on reading materials and a bookshop. The stranger is a member of the Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society, who has chanced upon a copy of a book that Juliet once sold, but neglected to remove her bookplate. A correspondence is struck up, and soon there are letters flying back and forth from Guernsey to London.

Soon, you discover the book group was formed almost accidentally due to the German occupation of the Channel Isles. But, as sometimes happens in life, accidents can lead to wonderful things such as the discovery of books and their power in our life. The group members all form vastly different attachments to vastly different written works. Before the sudden invention of the society, most of them had never read a book since they had left school. Circumstances require them to continue their little group until it had a life of its own.

A great book reaffirms something you already know, teaches you something you didn't know, and never lets you finish it, long after you have read every word. The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society reaffirmed my belief in the power of books, gave me a sharp, almost graphic lesson in history, and indeed, I have thought about it every day since I finished it.

In fact, I may have to put the Islands of Guernsey on my to do list.

Overheard at the bookstore:
It's a good thing there was a witness, though I am terribly glad he didn't look at me, as I would have burst into booming laughter at the time.
Man on cell phone in Science Fiction/Fantasy:
So, how much did that monkey end up costin' ya?

1 comment:

Hazel said...

Hey Susie,
Love your blog. I feel like we're staying in touch, even if it is rather onesided. I'm going to check out the 2 books that you mentioned. Since you work in a book store, I have a book related question. Emily (5) is loving Calvin and Hobbes and wants more comic books. Any suggestions. Drop me a line, I'd love to hear from you. I just finished reading Dodie Smith's "I Capture the Castle". She also wrote "101 Dalmations". I loved the Castle book. I also requested the Twilight series book from my library. Keep the book suggestions coming. Love ya
Hazel