Thursday, January 15, 2009

My Vision Board

I've just finished a lovely run of three days off. Merry Christmas to me, it's my holiday time. I was planning to work on my 2009 plans and finalize our big yearly goals, but I have decided to try a different route this year. Instead of a spreadsheet (oh, don't fear, I'm not leaving excel, what would I do?) I am creating a vision board.

Don't know what a vision board is? Think of it as a giant collage of everything you want in your life. Travel, money, love, new furniture, a working dishwasher... you name it, get a photo of it, and paste it down. Yes, I know. Its a very law of attraction kind of thing, Hippy guru nonsense, right? Well, I don't think so.


I believe that focusing on any thing, good or bad, will only magnify that thing. Don't like the idea of the law of attraction thing? Think of it more scientifically. Most Psychology 101 classes get introduced to self fulfilling prophecy. Cling to that if you need to. Or, heck, jump on that placebo effect thing. The power of absolute belief can be an enormous thing.


So, I put down my Napoleon Hill and picked up a piece of white foam board. I felt a little like I was about to make my charts and explanations for the science fair, but who cares, right? I've spent a little time with my magazines and some scissors. I've cut out all kinds of things. Furniture, a Wii, an entire kitchen, appliances and such. Most of what I considered my foundation was travel related and that is as far as I've gotten.


Right now, standing up against the fridge is the foam board covered with travel pictures. The drawings from my Disney Vacation Club packet for Animal Kingdom Villas make up a large part of the base. There is also photos from Australia, Paris, Tuscany, Las Vegas, Hawaii, and Scotland. Pretty good basis, I think. There is only one non-travel related item on the entire board so far: a picture of a brand new kitchen that is the basis for how I want to redo mine.

So, while I have quite a few things to add yet, I am enjoying the board just as it is right now. Hoot loves it, too. Oddly, on some level, I think he gets it. He keeps asking me to put the new vacuum picture on it. What a strange boy. He's been asking me to buy him a Dyson for over a year now.

No comments: