Tuesday, December 30, 2008

Combination for Christmas

This entire month, it seems like everything has just been a little off. If I think it is Tuesday, it is Thursday. If I think its Thursday, well, it is only Wednesday, dear. Its like I'm an old time safe cracker with my ear up to the wall of the safe, listening desperately to hear a tumbler fall in to place. Lots of tumblers did not fall in to place.
Christmas cards sent- nope.
Christmas in a box created and sent to close family members- nope.
Mele Kalikimakas made and sent- nope.
Mele Kalikimakas made for the store and family- nope.

Alas, with tomorrow being New Year's Eve, it is almost over. Don't get me wrong, it wasn't a horrible holiday season. We had a fantastic Christmas, as defined by Hoot having a fantastic day, complete with a hippopotamus from Santa. But, when we get this close to a new year, I get impatient for it.

A new year is like a blank piece of paper. A cosmic do over. Oh, the plans and goals and the planning of the goals. In fact, I have my first goal as planning the year and putting up a goal board before January 15th. I gave myself a little extra time because I banged my bum ankle again the other day. While I have three days off in a row (can I get an amen!) this week, I really need to stay off my feet and keep the ankle elevated.

I also intend to spend some really decent Hoot time. Today, we played cars on my bed for two hours, built blocks in his floor for another two hours, and watched Herbie Rides Again. Hoot is really turning into a Herbie fan. He only discovered old 53 when I left the TV on one morning about a week before Christmas. Herbie Fully Loaded had just come on and Hoot had gone into the living room in search of a Hot Wheels car. When he didn't come back, I went to investigate. I fell in love with my son falling in love with Herbie. Yesterday, we watched The Love Bug. Oh, how I wish I had the other Herbie movies. And, you know the best thing about it? Hoot has no idea that in the top 10 things to buy when I win the lotto is an exactly restored Herbie. Yep. Apple, tree.

Christmas at the bookstore:
Hi, my girlfriend sent me in to the get the new vampire book.
Do you know which vampire book?
No, I just know it's the newest one, only in hardcover.
Is it Eclipse or Breaking Dawn?
I don't know.
Okay, let's try this: when your vampires walk out into the sun, do they sparkle or burn?
Burn.
Are they Black Dagger Warrior vampires?
Don't think so.
Are they Southern Vampires?
YES!
Here you go.

No comments: