Thursday, December 11, 2008

Some Christmas Book thoughts... Part Two with interruptions!

I've been trying really hard to get back and post the other half of my Christmas gift thoughts from the book selling trenches. Really. I promise. I just haven't had a day off in a while, and well, it's December. Thursday and Friday of this week will make up two of the three days off I have between now and Christmas. If pity helps at all...

Seriously, I do have a few more recommends.

For your mystery/thriller lover- Scarpetta by Patricia Cornwell. Yeah, I know, but hear me out, you know I'll be honest. First of all, I don't really read Patricia Cornwell. I've done a few of her books on audio, and it was entertaining. But, my booksellers are RAVING about Scarpetta. Yeah, they are Cornwell fans and they read everything she writes, but they have been a little disillusioned with the last few books. However, all of them agree that this is the book they have been waiting years for her to write. If you've never tried her, or if you have strayed away from the series, give this one a try. My booksellers are guaranteeing that you will not be disappointed!

Movie trailer sales push- I don't know anyone who has been far enough under a rock to have missed Angels and Demons by Dan Brown, but the movie trailer seems to be finding them. You can watch it here. You know I always want to sell books, but seriously, who doesn't already own, or know someone who already owns this book?

For NEW international and historical trills, Katherine Neville's follow up to The Eight is in stores now! It's called The Fire and I have a dedicated, signed first edition just calling my name. (Yes, somebody loves me!) But, here's a little secret: I almost hate to start it. I've waited so long for this book. It's like a very beautiful cake. You know it's gonna be so good your eyes will roll back into your head, but once you cut it and take that first bite... well, you are on the big fat road to OVER. I'm saving this game for after the holidays.

There are tons of others, and when Christmas is over, there will be a wave of self improvement books just in time for New Years. I promise to do a post on what I call the Fat, Broke, and Disorganized season. There are several good looking titles headed this way.

And now for something completely different.

On the home front:

IT SNOWED! Yes, real snow. From the sky and everything! The boy was beside himself. At first, we got a dusting overnight. Hoot woke me up going on and on about it. He wanted to sled. He wanted to build a snowman. He wanted to make snowballs. When I pointed out that there was not enough snow to do any of these things, he said, "It looks bigger on TV."

Then, this afternoon, it really began to snow. Ab Fab, baby! Sadly, I was at work. But, I called and woke Dad up from his nap and made him take the boy outside. They got a few pics, but this is my favorite.

And this little snowman of love, left on my car outside of the bookstore, really made my night. I was so worried he'd fall off before I could get home to my camera, but he made it! The little guy just latched right on to my sunroof and hung on for dear life!

Since I have the camera out, here's one of Hoot and Luna that we took right after Thanksgiving. (Hoots chin is not dirty, it is a bruise left over from getting tangled up in dog leashes and falling on my mom's coffee table.)
Overheard at the bookstore:
19 or 20 year old girl on her cell phone: But Mom, its snowing. How am I going to get home?

No comments: