Wednesday, October 8, 2008

I just wanna wash my hair without freezing...

I guess I'm not going to be able to keep on track with my trip report. I love writing it because it helps keep my trip fresh in my mind. But, it has already been a long week, and it's just Tuesday night!

Hoot came down with a cough Sunday night. He didn't sleep very well that night, and well, if Hoot doesn't sleep well, no one sleeps well. By Monday, he was running a fever and miserable. Again, a long night, and even longer morning as a storm rolled into town.

Once up this morning, I was going to make him hot tea, but the stove wouldn't light. No gas. The gas company came out and found a huge leak in our line. Now, our gas line runs across a drainage creek that is maintained by the city. Or maybe I should say is supposed to be maintained by the city. So much debris, mostly tree branches and trash, caught up against our pipe, that with the force of the storm water, our pipe busted.

So, who pays for this? Me or the City? I still don't know. We finally found a plumber that came out late this afternoon, but he can't do anything about it until tomorrow. I hope it doesn't cost an arm and a leg. I really do. Honestly, I think the city is responsible, but who knows how long it will all take. Time is not what I want to think about right now. I want to think about hot showers, dinners from the stove or oven, and laundry drying in the dryer. That's what I want. At least it isn't winter!

Overheard at the bookstore:
You have puzzles, right?
Sure, they are this way. Did you want a jigsaw puzzle?
That doesn't sound right, I want a puzzle.
(walking customer to the puzzles and games section) A jigsaw puzzle is the kind with the picture that you put together, but we have puzzle books like sudoku and crosswords as well.
No, I want a puzzle.
Okay, here you go: Jigsaws are here, but anything in a book will be there. (For what its worth, she chose a jigsaw puzzle... then she proceeded to try and pay for it at the Information desk.)

No comments: