Saturday, May 17, 2008

Oh, Mother!

I was approaching Mother's Day with a bit of trepidation. I had originally asked to work the early shift on Mother's Day, since I was going out of town for work later in the week. I imagined getting up while the house is quiet, having a nice simple, quiet breakfast, then I'd go off to work. The morning would be quiet in the store, then the day would pass quickly. I'd depart and go home to find a nice cleanish house and perhaps dinner waiting on me. Alas, it was not meant to be. My boss, without asking, deemed that I should not have to work on Mother's Day. Talk about complications.



Then, a little guilt settled in on me. I called my Mom on Saturday, and asked her if she wanted to meet us in San Marcos for a few outlets and some dinner. We would meet at the Pottery Barn outlet, browse, then go to a very early dinner at Joe's Crab Shack. It would be great, we all love seafood, and Hoot could blow off some steam at the playground. So, when I arrived home Saturday evening, I found a few emails throwing a ton of kinks into the plan. My mom lives near San Antonio and she discovered that I-35 was under major construction that weekend right in front of the outlets. As traffic is always nasty in there on the weekends, it was a major drawback to our plans. Then, a second email revealed that she had called Joe's to check their hours and discovered it is now a Saltgrass Steakhouse. Not quite the same Hoot-friendly environment, especially without the playground. So, we scrapped San Marcos.

We briefly considered going to Katy and meeting the parents at the Rainforest Cafe. But, I knew we would have to be there before they opened since it was Mother's Day. So, we factored in how much further it would be for my parents to drive, and scrapped the meeting idea. C'est la vie.

On Mother's Day morning, we awoke to the unwelcome sound of water dripping somewhere in the house. Oh, boy. The pipe coming out of the garbage disposal was letting loose to beat the band. Any remaining chance of a day trip was scrapped. Flashlights were found and the cabinet under the sink was cleared.

I managed to remove most of the rotten pieces myself, but I would have to take the p-trap out to get it clear for replacement. I asked DH to use a little muscle on it and he kind of freaked out. I don't know if it was that it was Mother's Day, and I was on my back like a plumber, or if he really thought I couldn't do it. I'm still not sure. It doesn't make much sense to me that he is intimidated by plumbing, he builds million dollar oilfield equipment, but now that I think about it, he was awfully difficult when I wanted him to replace the faucet out back last summer. So, we did what all married couples do at some point. We fought. Not too many fireworks for us, but a few. I simply wasn't going to call a plumber, especially not on a Sunday, much less Mother's Day. Talk about expensive!

Eventually, he calmed down and helped me get the entire part clear of the disposal. After a quick Mother's Day outing to Lowe's, and a few more bits of bickering, we got it finished. Hooray! I have kept a bucket under it all week, just to make sure, but it's still high and dry!

We did go out to eat for wings and made a trip to Sam's for a few groceries. I also got two nice cards and some beautiful lilies. So, all in all, it was a pretty decent day. I hope all the moms out there had a nice Mother's Day as well.

Overheard in the bookstore:
Hi, I just graduated this weekend [from college], and I think I'd like to take up reading.
What kind of books do you like to read?
I don't know, I've never read one.
You've never read a book?
Not from cover to cover.

No comments: