Thursday, May 8, 2008

May Decisions

May is shaping up to be a very expensive month. It always is, but it still catches me by surprise when I see my totals and goals. There is just so much going on with gift occasions and Spring activities. I'm super glad there isn't a graduation somewhere in the mix as well!


Mother's Day is somewhat of an annoyance with me. Don't get me wrong, I think it's great to honor moms everywhere. Heck, I'm a mom! But, as with Christmas and my birthday, I hate doing the budgeting work for my own presents. This year I budgeted $100. I've already spent $18 on cards and a small gift for my mom. So, that leaves $82 in that category for DH & DS to buy me a present, or take me out to dinner, or whatever. I also keep thinking I should maybe try and meet my mom halfway between our houses for lunch or something on Sunday. That would further cut into the budget.


Our 15th wedding anniversary is on the 15th. I will be getting back in to town that evening and with the work trip, it was too chaotic to try and take that following weekend off. I do have the weekend of the 24th off, so we've thought about doing something then. But what?


DH's birthday is the 21st, so there's another $100 to put with the usual suspects. Can you see it adding up now? I also budgeted $100 for our Family Fun day because we hadn't decided on what we wanted to do. We talked a little bit about rolling Mother's Day, Anniversary, DH's Birthday and Family Fun day all into one weekend, but it's kind of driving me nuts. Collectively, that would put $382 in play for a weekend away. When I see that number, that big, and it's under the No Buy title, I just shake my head.


However, I am not one to get upset by doing things rather than buying presents. I'd much rather go somewhere and spend quality time with my family than own a piece of jewelry or a dreaded thing-that-must-be-dusted. The traditional 15th anniversary gift is crystal. (I read that as a thing-that-must-be-dusted.) The modern 15th anniversary gift is glass or watches. (Hey, I could actually use a new watch!) And according to About.com's guide to anniversary gifts, we should have booked a trip to Switzerland or Austria. Yeah, right. More like Fredericksburg or Schlitterbahn.



Overheard in the bookstore:
You got them home schoolin' books?

No comments: