Thursday, April 24, 2008

It's a family thang

Money always seems to be a family thing. If you have been raised with poor money values, it's hard to get past them. One of my biggest struggles has always been to get past the poor money values I was taught, or should I say not taught, as a child. Kids are aware of so much more than we give them credit for. If you really want to know how you are doing with your money, ask your kids. Sure, they may not want for much, or lack an allowance, but they can be pretty good indicators. If they say you are rich and you struggle with your credit card bills, maybe it's time to have a chat. If my mom had ever bothered to ask me, I would've told her a lot of stuff she didn't want to hear. Still could, for that matter.

For my mother's last birthday, I gave her a Christmas shopping trip. We set aside a day in early December so that my dad could hang out here with my hubby & Hoot. Then, we drove over to Austin for the day. We hit the outlets and Ikea in Roundrock. It was a blast. I had set a strict budget for my shopping and had money set aside for dinner and gas. I had used my think it through before you go strategy and gave myself a dollar amount exemption for my No Buy December. It was a lot of fun. However, I think I kept puzzling my mother because every time I made a purchase, I wrote it down in my notebook. She kept saying things like, "We don't have to have a nice dinner." She didn't quite follow my idea that I can have anything I want, if I plan for it. It was part of my present to her and to myself. I didn't even spend much. Gas, dinner, everything came out to $105. Not bad and we had a great time. But, I think because I kept a tally, she thought I had broke the bank!

So now, as I am examining my own habits and thoughts about money, I am also taking a look at my siblings and parents. We all have poor money habits. This is no pot calling kettle. I know I am the well seasoned skillet on the stove. That's what I'm trying to change. I am grateful that I am able to make these changes in my life. I am grateful that I haven't put myself into a situation where I can no longer see the light of day.

One of my favorite things about Larry Winget's book Your Broke Because You Want to Be is the accountability he shoves into your face. Yes, I know there are reasons that keep people in poor financial situations. I know that my sister is really unable to work for health reasons. I get this. However, when things aren't so great, isn't there still something that can be done?

I guess I'm thinking about this stuff because I am going to help out my sister by catching up her gas bill. And, I really don't mind helping. I've been in situations where I've needed help. I know that it happens and we all need a little help now and then. (Well, she needs a lot of help.) But, when I called and asked her what was about to be cut off, she told me to take my pick. She was on final notice on the electric bill, water bill, gas bill, satellite bill and phone bill. I told her I would pay the gas bill. It may seem harsh, but she can live without TV and a phone.

Holy cow! What a bummer post. Let's see if I can lighten it up! Things at home are going well and we're having a great week. I've just learned that the pool is open on weekends, so that's a bright spot on the horizon. I didn't budget it into April because I thought they didn't open until May, but I'll spot myself for the 25 swim pass this weekend if the weather is nice.

Overheard in the bookstore:
I'd like to return this please (handing over a copy of Baby's First Book of Prayers)
Is there anything wrong with it?
No. I just found out the baby's parents don't believe in God.

No comments: