Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Victory is mine!

I love my car. Her name is Sally, but really it's Penelope. Originally named Penelope after Penelope Pitstop, Hoot calls her Sally because she is the same color as Sally from the movie Cars. So, Sally it is.

Unfortunately, Sally recently burned out her low beam headlight on the driver's side of the car. Sad. The dealer here, which I refuse to patronize, charges $80 or more to replace the bulb. Our wonderful local mechanic charges only $25. However, I just spent almost a grand replacing the master timing belt, water pump, and thermostat. Not because it broke, but because I hit the 100K marker on the odometer. I will need tires and an alignment soon, so I really didn't want to have to take it in for a headlight.

Years ago, one of the No Buy gals on the Disboards sent me a link with instructions on changing the bulb myself. I tried it and fought with it for several hours. Then, I gave up and took it to my mechanic.

Today, I decided to give it another go! For $6 and some bruised fingertips, I changed that dang bulb myself! Hooray! I can't tell you how happy I am! It took quite a bit of work, but I managed to get the assembly out, bulb changed and the assembly snuggly back into its tracks. However, I don't have the brutal man strength to get the knob back in place, but no worries. It is snug enough for now... yes, really. Trust me that bad boy is not going anywhere. I will have big man slide the latch back in place tonight.

Wow, if I had learned this skill 7 years ago, I could have saved a bundle. I had them changed at least four times at a dealership (at least $80 a pop) and once at our family mechanic for $25. That's $345 I could've saved over the years! Never again! LOL!

And now, I can take the main roads home tonight!

At the Jellyfish Ranch: Hoot is doing so well. He's not the picture perfect student, but he is so much better. He loves them; they love him. Life is good for the Hooter Bear! And, sleeping at night is so much better. We may be able to transition back out of the night time pull ups again soon!

At the bookstore: I keep forgetting to pick up the new book by Carlos Ruiz Zafón. I loved The Shadow of the Wind so much, it became one of my top five books of all time. Now, I finally have another one of his books within my grasp and I can't remember to bring it home! Bad Susie. Bad, bad Susie. Tonight, I will start The Angel's Game. I promise!

No comments: