Saturday, February 16, 2008

Paying Bills with a Love Stamp

Years ago, when I mailed out my bills, I was always resentful of "love stamps." You know, the ones that come out at the beginning of the year and reign supreme during the Valentine's/Wedding invitation season. Since I would buy most of my stamps at the grocery store, there was almost no choice. (Alas, I wish I had invested and bought more of those Freedom stamps.) Last week, I bought a book, of stamps. I got frilly "love stamps" consisting of a scrollwork heart on a lavender background. *sigh*



Why do I mail anything, anyway? Who uses the mail anymore? Certainly someone, and frequently me. When I began my money revolution, I began to look at fine print. Most of my bills would rather be paid online. It eliminates the need to pay employees to open envelopes and process payments. But, one of them banks, pun intended, on me already being a habitual click payer. If I pay this credit card online, I get a $5.95 fee charged to my account for convenience. Convenience! I was pretty angry, but then I have to concede that it is a pretty crafty way for them to make an extra buck. Because really, with it being our highest interest credit card, I am sure they are strapped for cash. But, I chose to get back into the credit card game after a four year hiatus and no one else wanted me, so it's my own fault for getting their card. Now, rather than pay this fee, I mail them an old fashioned check and stick an additional $5.95 on top of the amount. As we work on our debt snowball, we aren't to this account yet, but it still feels good to add their "fee" above our minimun payment.



Years ago, I would often lament about stamps and checks. The people I sent checks to didn't deserve cute checks or stamps. I would look through the available stamps at the post office and they would always be artsy or cute. Why couldn't there be stamps with cow pies on them? These, I would love to stick on a bill. Once, I found a place I could order skull patterned checks. Totally awesome! I was so excited. I could envision sending out skull checks to some of our most hated bills. Argh and all that! As soon as I got home that day, I fired up the internet (insert sound of dial up service, it was a long time ago) and pulled up the site. They had skulls and daggers and all manners of dark images. Just what I needed to send out that minimum payment. They were $35 a box. Yep. $35 a box. Um. I get mine for free. Needless to say, I never bought the cool checks. I did get small amounts of satisfaction by misspelling names. For years, I wrote checks to Scama Gas Company and for Cox Cable I would put... well, you get the idea. Hey, they still cashed them and I enjoyed it.

Today, I stuck those "love stamps" on some bills and set them out for the mailman. It marked a big change in my attitude towards bills and money. They are my bills, I made them. It is my money, I made it. I am sending it away so that I may begin making and keeping more of it. I am happy to be paying it off. I put "love" on the envelope.

At the bookstore:
Customer-Do you have Don Quixote?
me-It'll be right this way.
Customer- You know where it is?
me-Sure, it's Cervantes
Customer- You don't need to look it up?
me-Nope, do you need a particular translation?
Customer-I need the one in English.
me-Yes, right (we are now in the section)here, there are several different versions.
Customer-But, I need one in English.
me-These are all in English.
Customer- But it's a Spanish novel.
me-These are all translations.
Customer- But, in English, right?
me-Yes, these are all English.
Customer-But it's written in Spanish.
me- These are in English. Is there anything else I can help you find?
Customer- An English version of Don Quixote.
me-Have a great night.
Then, I backed away slowly. I was very happy that we were near the end of a row. She's probably still there.

No comments: